Monday, January 4, 2010

Contra Streaming Online






For those of you who are fans of Vampire Weekend, the new album Contra is now streaming in its entirety on NPR Music. Follow this link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122213523&sc=fb&cc=fp.


Contra will be released Tuesday, January 12th.


First impressions: I have to be honest, Vampire Weekend was a bit of a hard sell for me when their first album came out. I thought they were ridiculously over-hyped considering they were the darlings of almost every music critic's top ten list that year and that it would be impossible for them to survive the weight of their sudden popularity. I gave them a chance and boy am I glad I did. On Contra, the boys stay true to the Paul Simon infused literary smarts that made their self-titled debut so enchanting but Contra has that extra something in the addition of electronic layers that gives their sound a completely different dimension. What can I say, I'm a sucker for synths.
Contra shows some important growth for Vampire Weekend and takes them out of one-hit wonder territory and establishes them as a band that deserves all the hype it can get.

1 comment:

  1. I like their album covers for some reason, so simple and muted but effective.

    ReplyDelete