Thursday, January 21, 2010

THRIFTY THURSDAY


Welcome to Thrifty Thursdays! I had the good fortune of going thrifting this week with my cousin, who is a local Etsy shop owner and our mothers. My cousin and I were raised in a household where going sailing had nothing to do with boats. We grew up with an appreciation and understanding for all things old and unusual as we perused unwanted wares at estate sales, garage sales, flea markets, antique stores, and thrift shops. Going thrifting, you not only take away arm fulls of 'treasures' but also treasured memories, like being packed in a car to the gills while my cousin laughs at my gigantic ceramic dachshund as he looks lovingly up at her (which I actually bought for a friend but now I don't know if I will part with him!)

The four of us had a very fruitful day, my cousin found some very kitschy kitchen wares and a hilariously coral sheer night coat from the 60s. Shown are my treasures which I obtained all for just under $28. A life-size ceramic dachshund, a large glass apothecary jar for a terrarium, a red Anne Taylor dress, a porcelain seashell tea cup and saucer, a green glass cake plate, a turquoise afghan with swallows on it, a spinning condiment tray, spice jars, and a flowered casserole dish.

For all you first time thrifters don't expect to get lucky the first time around, it takes patience and a keen eye.
Just like a pirate, sometimes you have to dig for the treasure and get your hands dirty.Then again don't pick everything you see, be picky and think about if you really have room for everything you find. Have fun and play fair!

There are a few things that you should arm yourself with...
  • Hand sanitizer (trust me you don't know where it's been or who touched it last)
  • Small bills and change (this will help you pay quickly and get on to the next stop)
  • A positive easy-come easy-go attitude (Be courteous, don't get in a fight over something ridiculous, it's bad sportsmanship)
  • Coffee and snacks (You're going to need stamina)
  • An empty car (believe me, it will fill up fast)
  • A newspaper and a map (To plot out the good sales and quickest routes)
  • A partner (Two pairs of eyes are better than one, also good for carrying large objects and navigating while the one person drives)



3 comments:

  1. We visited about five different thrift spots here in Peoria, I won't reveal all our secrets but the Goodwill just before the McCluggage Bridge is a great spot! They were putting stuff out and my cousin would find cool things that hadn't been out when we first arrived! But Salvation Army and Goodwill are some of our regular stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Very good tips for novice thrifters! :)

    ReplyDelete