Tuesday, February 2, 2010

RAWR! Music Tuesday


Motion City Soundtrack is back in action with a new album for the loser, the dropout, the failure, the outcast in everybody.

My Dinosaur Life takes the band in a newer direction with some heavy instrumentals without losing the loser-esque nature of Motion City lyrics.

While they’ve gotten less whimsical and more grungy instrumentally, Justin Pierre’s unique vocal style and lyrics still show the band hasn’t changed their style. Chock full of breakups, misery, self-medication, and video game references (in one track he references Ocarina of Time!!!!), My Dinosaur Life doesn’t disappoint on the “Justin Pierre is miserable” front.

But don’t read too much into it, Motion City Soundtrack isn’t just for high school nerds. The instrumentals are still among the best in the pop-alternative field and they’re doing something new with harmonized vocals that I really enjoy.

My favorite track is “Her Words Destroyed my Planet,” but the whole album is worth listening to. So if you don’t mind a bit of everyday misery, I recommend heading to your local record store and picking up a copy of My Dinosaur Life.

A word of warning, six of the songs (Worker Bee, Her Words Destroyed my Planet, Delirium, History Lesson, Pulp Fiction and @!#?@!) are explicit, so make sure to check the lyrics before you get this album as a gift for your nephew.

Unless he’s a little @#!%@, in which case he probably knows all those words, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment